Aviva In Poland

Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Mishmash Of News

My Dearest Family, Friends and Readers,
It has been a long time since I have written-and Im sorry. I have been busy doing lots of different things. So, what I will do is just let you in on some of the exciting things that have been going on in Warsaw.
Last I wrote I was gearing up for a weekend Seminar for the Social Welfare Commission Volunteers. At this point it feels lifetimes ago, but really it is just 2 weeks. The Seminar went over very well, with a few small glitches-nothing major. Its seemed that all 32 participants got a lot out of the sessions on assertivness, active listening, group building and case studies. The seminar was enintirely in Polish so I was a very active observer. It was an itneresting and educational experience. We are planning to have another seminar in Mid March to build on the ideas of this past one.
Now we are gearing up for an exciting Mitzvah Week which is a week that will celebrate and show appreciation for volunteers, educate about volunteering and unite the various communities. The week will take place from November 19-26 and will be happening in the 7cities that the Social Welfare Commission works in. I am working on the program in Warsaw and will be attending the one in Gdnask and Krakow.
This weekend there is a retreat for the organization "Children of the Holocaust" and I will be joining them for shabbat, bringing songs, candles and the sprit of shabbat to the group.
I have finally gotten into my Polish lessons. I am taking them with my friend and we go for an hour twice a week. It is super hard and learning a new language from the beginning is no easy task.
I have explored a wonderful exhibit at the Modern Art Museum and enjoyed watching how Polish people celebrate "All Saints Day"-their version of Halloween. They go to the cemetary and light lots of candles and bring flowers to the grave. We went late at night and look at the beautiful cemetary all light up.
That is a quick update about what Im up and what is going on. It is defenitly becoming winter, it has already snowed and it is getting very cold. The malls also have their Christmas music on and specials starting.
Please keep reading and continuing to be in touch-it really helps a lot!
Sending lots of love and warm hugs from Warsaw
Aviva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home