Aviva In Poland

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Smile Really is the Universal Language-September 18

I just returned from a wonderful weekend filled with many great experiences. On Friday morning I took a bus to a small town outside of Warsaw called "Srodborow" where there is a 10 day retreat for Holocaust Survivors. There were 33 of them staying at a hotel like place that was on a beautiful property. After a somewhat nerveracking bus ride-I had no idea where the stop I needed to get off was and of course in true Poland fashion no one spoke English-I found my way. I spent the day visiting with the Seniors. We made candle sticks and decorated candles. My boss was in Warsaw so there was no one there to translate but somehow we understood eachother and had the most wonderful day. I was able to help them create things they were so proud of and they made me smile with their compliments, their attempt to teach me Polish and their energy. Many of them think I understood what they were saying because all I did was smile. Even though I really didn't I understand much I loved that they were full of life, enthusiasm and appreciated my company a lot. We had a very nice Shabbat dinner-I was able to light candles with them and listen to an old man proudly recite Kiddush. After dinner I sat and sang with some of them and then I listened to their stories. While again I could understand very little-someone there explained to me that they were telling the stories of their survival. I could see the tears and emotions, but also that they appreciated where they were. Saturday I spent more time with them and then I needed to catch a train to Krakow. The shabbat I spent with them was so special and wonderful. I really could understand very little of what they were saying but I could see how they felt and it made me so happy to know I got to spend time with them. Many of them live in Warsaw so I will be seeing them weekly and many of them live in other places that I will be visiting and doing programs at.
After my day with them I caught a train with my boss and ended up in Krakow late Saturday night. We were staying in the Jewish neighbourhood of Kashamish where we had dinner and even though it was super late-she took me to the downtown square which was beautiful and full of life. I need to say that where we were staying also had a wonderful square and there many "Jewish" bars and they were all very full and vibrant.
Sunday for my visit in Krakow I had the unique oppurtunity to attend and be a part of a symposium on the Jewish Community Centre which is being built and expected to be ready for Spring 2008. Unlike many who when they visit Krakow go right to the camps, I was able for my first time to be a part of a symposium about the present and the future of the very vibrant Jewish community of Krakow. The centre is being funded my many and there were representatives of the World Jewish Relif Fund, the JOINT, an Architect and of course the community(young and old leaders). Many people spoke about the plans and goals but most importantly the day was about engaging the 70ish members of the community who were in attendence about what they wanted to see the centre become and what they could contribute. There were open questions, small discussion groups and many different people sharing their hopes for the future of the community. It was energizing and inspiring to hear the excitement, fears, and hopes of the community for its future. I hope to return to Krakow for Sukkot to do a program with the youth and hopefully elderly. It was amazing to be a part of the beginnings of what they desciribed as their dream.
I returned late Sunday night and will be busy at work helping out and working on a program. I just returned from delivering Kosher lunches to two elderly couples. While of course I had the usual challenge of figuring out where they lived-I did and they so appreciated their food. With a smile we talked and now Im back at work.
Have a wonderful week
Love Aviva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home