Aviva In Poland

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lights?-A Hilarious Moment!

I have been sharing with you all about the wonderful work I am doing, what I have not been sharing are some of the moments that one only has when they are in a new place building a new life. I could write a book on how to get lost on Warsaw, how to go about getting internet when you do not speak the language, how I nod to so many things, when I have no idea what people are saying- but the best happened tonight.
I was making dinner for my friends and it was almost ready and they were about to come. My music was blasting and I was having a good time-till suddenly theres no power at all. I must have blown a fuse and needed to think how to quickly fix the situation and save the dinner in the oven and on the stove. I speak little Polish, my neighbours dont speak English and I dont know how to fix anything! So luckily my landlandy had written her apartment number down for me and I went to her. She also speaks no English so when I showed up we called her daughter who translated the situation for us. After she turned her dinner off she came to my apartment where my friends were standing at my door confused and then laughing. We needed to get into the fuse box but the key would not work. So when the neighbours heard the continued commotion one came with wire cutters to break open the fuse box, Of course I had no idea what they were saying but about 30 mintues after this episode began-I had power. All this with being unable to communicate with those around me for help! I was soo appreciative I offered them the cookies I had received from home today! Im rearning that smiles, tears and translators can be an ok way to communicate. Thankfully I stared Polish lessons yesterday.
Hope this makes you laugh as much as it made my friends as I when we finally sat down to a great dinner-thanks to the amazing package of desired treats, condiments and books I got from my family today. Have a great rest of the week
Love
Aviva

1 Comments:

  • Only you, Aviva. I can just hear you laughing and giggling as you tell the story. But did you take any pictures? Love you, ima

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home