Aviva In Poland

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

As I Continue to Get More Setteled....

It has been along time since I have posted something-I was feeling that nothing overly exciting was going on and then I realized that eachday and everything that I have the oppurtunity to do is exciting. Since Rosh Hashanah and the ending of the holiday I have continued to think about what will happen during this New Year and where life will take all of us-I wish I had some answer but Im contiuning to focus on the special community I am in now and what I can do for it.

Im learning that even the smallest things that I do make a big difference. Ive been bringing one lady lunch everyday and I stay and visit for a few minutes and when I leave she is in such wonderful spirits. Last Friday I brought Shabbat candles and we lit them together. Im continuing to spend time at the Senior Club and while my language is still a barrier I continue to enjoy their company. I have organized a special program for Sukkot which will take place next week. The Lauder Morasha Day School students will be coming to the Club and we will all go to the Sukkah together for a wonderful activity. Im thrilled that I was able to orgazine the students coming. It will be a great oppurtunity for them to spend time with the seniors and think about how they can be active in volunteering and of course the Seniors will love their time with them. I promise to post pictures of the event!

Tomorrow we will have our opening volunteer meeting for all of the Social Welfare volunteers in Warsaw. Im looking forward to meeting the ones I have not met, to sharing some ideas with them and to doing a special program about "Hashnasat Orchim-Welcoming Guests". Im also realizing that the to bridge the gap between the generations , to have the youth volunteering and doing programs with seniors-is a large task and something which I am slowly making some moves in the right direction. These ideas and programs are something I work on daily and look forward to getting at least one more off the ground in the next month. It is not easy to do but it is a wonderful challenge and anytime someone gets in touch or shows interest its a success. Im learning to appreciate all small feats and to understand that things take time-lots of time.

I personally am getting much more setteled and comfortable in my life. Ive adjusted to living alone a little too well and I love knowing how to get around and find what I need easily. It is still fun to discover more places and meet different faces. The language barrier is still a challenge. Im starting to understand more and my boss has found me some semi-private polish lessons and hopefully they will start very soon! Im slowly meeting more young people-I would love to meet more and I will. My life has slowed down and is less hectic. I can really appreciate what I am doing and the people I interact with. I look forward to conitnuing to share more about the life and would love to hear what you think!

Please check out these links if you are interested in having oppurtnity like this one
www.jdc.org
www.jdc.org/how_vlntr_jsc.html
www.jdc.org/how_wolf.html

2 Comments:

  • Aviva- I love you- your blogs make me smile! - Dana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:44 AM  

  • Wow, Avivi you continue to amaze-hearing from you and reading about your adventures reminds me that dreams do come true. Your mommy is so proud and just bursting with warm fuzzies knowing you are the person I had a hand in bringing into the world! I am especially happy that you seem to be doing your wonderful balancing, acrobatic best to have it all and do it all. Chag sameach, love ima

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home